Don't Drink Bees Educational Ideas

...and other "pearls of wisdom"

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Free Newspapers

Did you know that many local newspapers will deliver free papers to your classroom?

The program is called NIE, or Newspapers in Education. In addition to receiving free papers once a week, the following may be offered: lesson plans or ideas, classroom activities, guest speakers, and tours.

I took advantage of this program when I was teaching. My students really enjoyed the speaker that the newspaper sent. He described to us how newspapers are created in such an interesting way that my kids wanted to visit the plant.

The newpaper provided excellent NIE inserts. I remember a wonderful February booklet of African-American poetry with discussion questions and activities. I used that insert a lot at the time (and I will use it when I teach again).

To participate in NIE, you just need to contact your local paper to see if they have a program in place.

For general newspaper activities and information, check out NIEonline.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home