Don't Drink Bees Educational Ideas

...and other "pearls of wisdom"

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Being the Thing Poem (Personification)

Imagine that you are your pencil. Describe a day in your life as a pencil. How does it feel in your pencil case? How about when you are lost in the bottom of a locker?

A poem about your life may go like this:


I came in a package of twelve
You took me out first
And I was your favorite
You used me on all your exams
Until the day
You lent me to the kid
Who sits behind you
He tapped me rapidly
He gnawed me repeatedly
And when the period was over
And he finally handed me back to you
You said "Ew.
You know what?
Just keep it."
And I spent the rest of my days
Tapped and gnawed
Staring at the back of your head
From the hand of Beaver Boy.


When you give human qualities (like feeling emotions and speaking) to an animal or object, it is called personification.

Brainstorm ideas about your life as an object or an animal. Then, write a poem about your life as that object. Include what you do and how you feel.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home