Don't Drink Bees Educational Ideas

...and other "pearls of wisdom"

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Noisy Poem

Read the poem "Noise" by Jessie Pope. All the words in the poem that sound like their meaning are examples of onomatopoeia. (whoop, thud, rattle, boom, etc.)

Think of a rain storm. What are some of the words associated with a rain storm? A clap of thunder, rain drops, sprinkles, dripping, splashing.

Pick a topic to write about that has a lot of noises associated with it. Write a poem about this subject, including as many sounds as you can.

Example:

Too Noisy to Study

I'm trying to study. I really am.
I must do well on my next exam.

But what is that dripping and dropping and plinking?
It really is affecting my thinking!

And what is that buzzing and humming and drone?
Those sounds are really making me moan!

And what is that ticking and tocking and gonging?
For some silence, I really am longing!

And what is that crunching and munching and slurping?
I think it's the dog. Oh no! Now, he's burping!

Everyone quiet! Not one more sound!
How can I study with this noise all around!

Hmmmm.....now, it's too silent without even one peep.
It's too quiet for thinking. I think maybe I'll sleep.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home